Where learning, laughter, challenge and community responsibility are encouraged and celebrated!
Going to school regularly is so important for your child's future. Children who miss school frequently can fall behind with their work and not do as well in exams. This could have an effect on their future life choices, for example, going on to further education or gaining employment.
Good attendance shows potential employers that your child is reliable. Research suggests that children who attend school regularly could be at less risk of getting involved in anti-social behaviour or crime.
By law, all children of compulsory school age (currently 5 to 16 years) must receive suitable full-time education (Education Act 1996).
Your child is at school for 190 days a year. Unless there is a real illness, children should be at school. Tiredness, family visits or days out are not valid excuses to be off school. Every day counts!
The government states that all schools should be aiming for at least 96% attendance. Attendance is a critically important factor in a child’s educational achievement as well as their social development and there is no greater impact that a parent/carer can have on their child’s schooling than ensuring that they are in school at least 96% of the time.
In May 2022, the Government published its Attendance Guidance, clearly stating that schools and parents must work together to persistent improve attendance and reduce absence. According to this guidance:
- The Government expects schools to:
- promote good attendance and reduce absence, including absence; ensure every pupil has access to full-time education to which they are entitled.
- The Government expects parents to:
- perform their legal duty by ensuring their children of compulsory school age who are registered at school attend regularly.
As a result, the school has reviewed its policies and procedures relating to attendance and you will notice that attendance will be on the forefront this year.
Please view our attendance policy in the policy page.
To maintain the element of fun and competition with the children, we plan to run a series of competitions in order to raise the profile of attendance.
Attendance Rewards at the end of each term:
- 100% challenge! All children who attend school 100% of the time each term, will be entered into the draw and win a £10.00 Amazon voucher. A child with 100% attendance will also receive a special certificate.
- 96% and above challenge! A child with 96% and above will receive a golden ticket and will be entered into a draw to win a £10 Amazon voucher.
- Exceptional attendance challenge! A child who has authorised absences due to medical needs but who has attended school the rest of the school time will receive a golden ticket for a draw and can win a £10.00 voucher.
Children on the Attendance chart with 100% attendance, will receive a golden ticket for a draw and can win a £10.00 voucher.